Chandra Shekhar Azad : PrayagRaaj
Earlier it was called Alfred Park, this 133-acre complex was built in 1870 when the old cantones of Georgetown were turned into a park, which was called the Civil Lines (Canning Town).
This park is pleasant for Prince Alfred's visit to Allahabad. Its name was changed to the name of the revolutionary, Chandrashekhar Azad, who had been killed here in 1831. According to what happened that day, because Azad, Sukhdev and Jawaharlal Nehru were returning from Anand Bhawan and were crossing this park to return home, the policemen surrounded their houses. After this, three policemen were killed in the fire and some others were injured. Azad was injured but he enabled Sukhdev Raj to run away. After a long firing, believing his pledge to be caught alive, Azad killed himself with his last bullet. His colt revolver is displayed in the Allahabad Museum. A monument stands here in his honor.
The landmark located in the park is the Thornhill Meyen Memorial, which is a building designed by Richard Raskell Benne in the Scottish Baronial style, with sandstone and granite turret and arches clusters. Once the House for the Legislative Assembly, when Allahabad was the capital of the United Provinces, the campus became a public library in Allahabad, when the library was moved back to 1879 in this building in 1860, and the Legislative Council meetings were transferred to the Mayo Hall. In the park is a Victoria Memorial, a music college, also known as Prayag accompaniment committee and Madan Mohan Malviya Stadium.